Alameda Point: What do you want to know?

Alameda Point: What do you want to know?

Alameda Point

Got questions about the city's plans for Alameda Point? City Manager John Russo says he'll answer them, here on The Alamedan. You can e-mail your question to me at michele@thealamedan.org this week or just post it in a comment on the site, and I will pass it all along. In the meantime, you can scan all of our Alameda Point coverage here.

Comments

Submitted by Richard Hausman (not verified) on Mon, Apr 21, 2014

At an early Planning Board meeting, the question of the name "Town Central" came up and we were told repeatedly that it was only a "place name" and not intended to be the actual name of the development. Yet here we are downstream and every document lists the name "Town Central." Has the name become a fait accompli without public input?

Submitted by Karen Bey (not verified) on Wed, Apr 23, 2014

How long is the RFQ period? I thought I read something that said one month. It’s a real busy time now for developers in this hot real estate market, and I'm concerned that one month may not be long enough to get a good response. Three months would give developers more time to respond.

Submitted by MJ (not verified) on Wed, Apr 23, 2014

Here is my question; Other than ever-worse traffic jams, especially through the tube, what about the development plan is worth all of that time sitting in traffic for existing Alameda residents?

Submitted by Julie Hughes (not verified) on Fri, Apr 25, 2014

My husband works on the base, West Seaplane Lagoon to be exact, along with a bunch of other small business in the same commercial kitchen building. Can they be relocated to another location on the base since their current location is set to be redeveloped? It would be nice if the city of Alameda took care of these folks and help them to find a new location on the base since they have worked at that location for a few years now.

Submitted by RB (not verified) on Mon, Apr 28, 2014

We already have a town center, Park Street. Southshore is Southshore, not Towne Centre. Why can't the point simply be "the point" or something reflecting the Naval history of the island? The name "town center" makes it sound like just another new development full of jamba juices.

Please retain the Naval history, buildings, restore wetlands, put in LARGE parks, limit housing and limit traffic congestion. How about a water taxi service, free of charge from Alameda to Oakland?

More houses of the Bayport type, do not help Alameda. Sell private lots of land, with enough square footage to build a home WITH a backyard. Let individuals build, not developers. Oh wait a minute, I forgot, city planners love kick backs and tax revenue to blow on pensions and such. Whoopsies!

Submitted by Michele Ellson on Tue, Apr 29, 2014

Hi Julie: I'm actually working on a story for this week about existing businesses at Alameda Point and would love to get in touch. You can reach me at michele@thealamedan.org. Thanks.