Letter to the Editor: To serve and protect?

Letter to the Editor: To serve and protect?

Letters to the Editor

I have been told many times that the Alameda police have a reputation for being awful, but had never experienced it until now.

My daughter was recently in a car accident, a fender bender, and no injuries. When I arrived there were FOUR police cars present. Three of the officers were rude, disrespectful and lied to me and my daughter. They threatened to arrest me for asking questions, like why were four police cars needed, and could I speak with my daughter, and when I reminded her of her rights. When I asked for their badge numbers and names two of the officers turned their backs on me.

As she had had a beer with her dinner, they put her through the field sobriety test, not once but four times because they did not know how to do it correctly. And she was not drunk or acting inappropriately, just shaken up by the accident.

Perhaps I am overreacting, but I thought these people were there to serve and protect.

The officers involved were badge numbers 17, 36, and 50.

Connie Turner

Comments

Submitted by Stacy (not verified) on Tue, Oct 29, 2013

My daughter was arrested in front of me, at the Alameda Hospital ER. The cop arrested her because she was drunk and would not shut up. She was upset and trying to talk to me. The cop (A young man with a bad attitude) told her if she said one more thing, he would arrest her. When she said "Im trying to talk to my mother" the cop said "Thats IT" and he arrested her in front of her 2 year old, myself, and her grandfather. For SPEAKING! He said he was arresting her for "Drunk and disorderly"..but he did NOT have to do that. She was with me, and my elderly father. The best has not been told. She was taken to North County..and they LOST her!! I called that jail dozens of times trying to locate her. They insisted she was never brought in... SO I panicked! I made a missing persons report..and they found her.. In a holding cell..unaccounted for. Something needs to be done about some cops and their "God Complex". You are NOT overreacting!

Submitted by Carol Parker (not verified) on Tue, Oct 29, 2013

Our family's experiences with the Alameda Police Department have been nothing but outstanding. Ditto for everyone I know. Having been born here and having now raised three children to adulthood here (through the rocky teen years) I have seen over and over how much officers care about the island's citizenry. Chief Paul Rolleri, for instance, has been our family's personal hero on the force since 1997 when (as a detective) he helped us beyond measure. Whether it is keeping our kids safe in the schools, keeping drunk drivers off our streets or investigating thefts or break-ins the force does it with professionalism. I will continue to be a big supporter of our force.

Submitted by Suzanne Lindsey (not verified) on Tue, Oct 29, 2013

I have the utmost respect for our Police Department. They have been more than helpful in business matters and home security matters. I am a fan of Acting Chief Paul Rolleri. A really good guy. Police do what they need to do.

Submitted by John W. (not verified) on Wed, Oct 30, 2013

This is what you get for a unionized public agency. 200K is salary, life time benefits and can't fire the bad employees.

Submitted by Dan Zaines (not verified) on Wed, Oct 30, 2013

Happy to have our police earning a decent living. I wish they would do more to keep drivers at 25mph and paying attention to pedestrian crossings, but I appreciate their work.

Submitted by donna (not verified) on Thu, Oct 31, 2013

They will turn their backs on you if you ask questions. rational questions. they love to over react.

Submitted by Kyle (not verified) on Thu, Oct 31, 2013

I lived in Alameda for 15 years. APD have been more than helpful in all my interactions with them.

No complaints here!

Submitted by Bill (not verified) on Thu, Oct 31, 2013

I've lived in Alameda for 32 years now. I have come in contact with APD a number of times. I've never had cause to be upset with them. The younger officers tens to be more aggressive than the older officers, but that's not surprising. The officers who I have spoken to when they are off-duty are great and represent Alameda well. My observations are that when someone does not follow instructions, the officers get more aggressive. I see nothing wrong with that. Instead of commenting on the "protect and serve" aspects of our Police force, people need to know that the public's requirement is to "respect and listen." You'll do well to follow that approach.

Submitted by Cturnover on Thu, Oct 31, 2013

Dear Bill - respect and listen goes both ways. The police are not the arbiters of our rights, their job is to protect those rights.

Submitted by Wally (not verified) on Thu, Oct 31, 2013

My interactions with Alameda police over the past 18 years have been mixed. The higher level officers tend to be good, but some of the younger patrol officers are unprofessional and insensitive. All it takes is a couple of bad experiences and the impression of the force becomes tainted. Hopefully the new chief will provide the younger officers with good leadership. In the meantime, please start enforcing the traffic laws again. The speeding is out of control.

Submitted by not_a_developer (not verified) on Thu, Oct 31, 2013

200k per year with full benefits and healthcare for life is not a "decent living", it is rich living. That is almost three times the average FAMILY income in the city of Alamaeda. Wake up people, the public safety unions are bankrupting us. Where is the money for schools?

Submitted by Gil (not verified) on Fri, Nov 1, 2013

As Friedrich Nietzsche said "There are no facts, only interpretations."